Gerbeaud Catering is built on more than 160 years of history behind the Gerbeaud name. The story of Gerbeaud started on the 14th of October 1858, when Henrik Kugler opened his confectionery on József Nador Square. The store operated here until 1870 when Kugler moved his property to the Vörösmarty Square. His foamy, chocolatey coffee, special liqueurs and sweet bonbon attracted the public. Kugler's cakes and mignons, which won him the title of confectioner to the Imperial and Royal court, were in great demand and he was the first to package them in paper trays. The most delicious ice-creams in Pest were sold here. As Henrik Kugler did not have any child, he asked a confectioner from Geneva to recommend a young and talented professional to take over his business who suggested Emil Gerbeaud.

After meeting in Paris, Emil Gerbeaud moved to Budapest in 1885, along with his wife and five daughters and took over the management of the confectionery. Emil Gerbeaud introduced a number of innovations: he expanded the selection with special new products such as buttery, Parisian and similar special creams, more than a hundred kinds of tea cakes, and sweet sugars. His ice creams and creams were also innovative.

By the end of the century, his products were attracting customers from abroad. As a master chocolatier, he introduced cat's tongue and cognac cherry bonbon to Hungary.

The Royal Gerbeaud Pavillon, opens as a restaurant in 1896 in Városliget. The building was built for the millennium celebrations of the Austrian Emperor and Hungarian King Franz Joseph I and his wife Queen Elisabeth (Sissi). Open from spring to autumn, it became a favourite place for the gentle society of Pest, hosting various events and prestigious programmes in addition to its everyday activities. Large garden parties, banquets, concerts, club meetings, receptions for foreign guests and even weddings were held there. The Pavilion remained in use until the Second World War, when it was so badly bombed that its subsequent restoration was no longer supported.

After Emil Gerbeaud's death in 1919, the confectionery was taken over by his wife Eszter Ramseyer. In 1948 it became under government ownership and the name was changed to Vörösmarty confectionery. The name Gerbeaud was taken over again in 1984. The four-storey building was bought by a German businessman in the 1990s, and in 2004 the confectionery was taken over by Gerbeaud Gastronomy Ltd., which is now a fully family-run business, just as it was in Gerbeaud's time.

In the spirit of tradition and innovation, our mission is to introduce new flavours and textures to the delicacy-receptive audience and to help discovering a quality product.

This quality approach is also applied to the other catering units of the Gerbeaud group. Like the Onyx restaurant, which was the first in Hungary to receive two Michelin stars and now operates as the Onyx Workshop, and also applied to Gerbeaud's little brother in Buda, the Émile restaurant, which opened in 2015, and our catering business, which has been operating for over 20 years.